tech planet

Friday 29 June 2012

3 Rules for Updating Your Blog More Often

A few weeks ago I talked to a friend and our discussion turned to quality. He said he was having trouble updating his blog regularly, mostly because he doesn’t have enough time to devote himself to high quality posts. Sounds familiar? As Nenad wrote this week, nobody’s perfect, therefore, we should stop obsessing about quality to the detriment of rarely making ourselves write.

Here are 3 rules to follow to update your blog regularly.
How many times a month should I write? 


1. Don’t overthink
Once again, nobody’s perfect. Moreover, only a few of your posts will be perfect or rather almost perfect. My advice is simple: don’t overthink it. What I mean is stop worrying so much about the quality of your post. This may sound ridiculous in the world where we constantly, for a reason, talk about quality content. I’m not saying, publish whatever or that quality doesn’t matter. Quite the contrary. It’s just that many times we are too critical. Look! Whatever you write (unless you’re not a good writer), it will be about 80 per cent all right. So don’t wait, just write.
Writing 
2. Don’t overcommit yourself
To update a blog daily, especially if you’re very busy, is daunting. Come on! Lift this burden from your shoulders. Content marketing teaches us we should post as many times a week as possible. Even research shows that the more often a company updates its blog, the more readers it gets. But if you’re a one-man band and not a serial writer then you should think carefully how many posts you can really manage a month.
Recently I began to exercise again. I decided to do it every morning. At first it was a struggle to make myself do it daily. After a while I discovered that I don’t need to exercise an hour each morning, sometimes fifteen minutes are plenty – better than no exercising at all. This is how exercising has become less frightening. Moreover, it has turned into a habit of mine.
I apply the same philosophy to blogging. It should become your habit. My own approach is to write three to four longer, more analytical posts a month, but to keep myself writing,  I post shorter opinions on other days; I usually reblog other blogs and add my own short opinion to it. So it’s better to write something than nothing in my case. There are two levels of quality: great and less great. What it comes to is to train your audience when to expect a new post. If you decide to publish once a week, that’s fine, however, stick to the schedule. To sum up, if you’re a lone blogger, make sure you know how many times a month you really can commit to posting and stick to it.


3. Guest blogging
Allowing others to guest post on your blog is beneficial for so many reasons. First, it lifts the burden of having to write something on a regular basis. Second, known bloggers improve the credibility and even increase traffic to your blog. Third, you keep up the level of quality, especially during dry spells or if you’re too busy to stick to your commitment – both can happen from time to time. Choose your guest bloggers carefully.
With regard to my own personal blog, I follow the first two rules, which made me get back to blogging and they made me happier. Guest blogging is what we do on the Z-Blog, thus making sure we post as many quality posts as possible as many times a week as possible. There’s simply too much great content out there waiting to be written and posted online.

What is your advice about how to make updating blog a habit? How many times a month do you update your blog and how do you make yourself stick to the schedule? Let us know in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

SHARE AND COMMENT